Search This Blog

Sunday, May 12, 2019

(Michael) and the Balrog Days +3 to +4

For Lord of the Rings fans, you will remember when the fellowship flees from the Balrog (big ass majorly evil monster) and Gandalf, the leader, ends up locked in prolonged mortal combat with the dreaded monster.  I may well be going through the Balrog phase at present--nausea, fatigue, even a bit of depression (been reading of depressive experiences of the likes of Lincoln and FDR so I push through with a certain amount of 'surrounded by witnesses' hubris), looking forward to achieving "Gandalf the White" status at the outcome.


Becky's here now which is a great help on many levels.  One reflects on marriage at a time like this:

  • 'in sickness and in health' (from the traditional wedding vows)
  • 'this is why they make you take vows' (quote from vulnerable scene in 'West Wing')

Assuming I get through this relative unscathed, better than I went into it, it will be as a result of the efforts of many, not least Becky.

Had some conversations with families here who are having a great deal more challenge than I.  Talking and praying with them is good therapy for us both.

I continue to be inspired by the quality with which the MCT team is pushing on with their responsibilities (and some not inconsiderable ad hoc challenges) as I play my backup role here.

Excited about getting into some planning on some initiatives, I'm hoping to catalyze in the the next few weeks, as the Balrog thing allows:

  • Legacy Impact Giving Event & John McGill Concert -- Opportunity for Mountain Community to Give posthumously through their life insurance and other vehicles to causes they care about.  June 9.
  • Regional Youth Foundation -- collaborative fund raising with likeminded child-serving org.  Details to follow.                                                                                                                       
  • CCX Community Groups Experiments (see attached for latest brochure).





1 comment:

  1. Praying the Father is meeting you in all ways, from nausea to fatigue to depression ... I know He loves us in so many ways. I am massively grateful for Becky and for vows and, in my better moments, for our own neediness that lets other pour out love. Brad thinks I hung the moon and is just amazed at how I love him when I dose him with NyQuil and Claritin when a cold grabs him ... I can just imagine being met with love in the deepest of need and sickness. Much love from Idaho, too.

    ReplyDelete