Random responses to nurses throughout Day Two:
'Feeling great' [some mild euphoria from steroids may be involved here]
'Some restless, especially in legs' [needed to walk that off several times throughout the day]
Focused my attention throughout most of the day on getting administrative chores done that related to my non-profit CEO job. I notice many others going through similar experiences at the infusion center used other distractions: novels, sleeping, incessantly listening to Fox News [not recommended but everyone has their point of view].
Random thoughts on dealing with easy, good days:
Where were the side effects? One nurse (one of the more experienced ones in similar clinical trials to what I'm doing) commented to the effect, "I can't remember more than one or two patients who had as few side effects as you've had.' My internal response is profound gratitude but it's also part of how I happen to be wired in terms of my personality that I expect good results. I describe this to my close friends as 'my concentration camp' response (See 'Concentration Camp' post).
The Parking Lot
Left the infusion center around 6:30 pm only to find a lady who had just tripped and apparently injured her ankle. Helped her up and she seemed fine (she was pretty much monolingual so I was guessing) but needed a jump which we could help with only peripherally (good reminder to do a better job with emergency supplies in my trunk).
Bright day, bright thoughts, but it's easy to have bright thoughts in the midst of grace and clerical errors. How will I do on bad days? St. Paul has that great statement about doing well in abundance and in need. I'm much better with the abundance, which is where I currently find myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment