Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Transplant Day . (Day 0)


Completed the actual transplant today—all of approximately 40 minutes.  Now the game is to provide medication and support to bring lab counts back up to normal and restore normalcy.  Dr. Rosen says to expect feeling ‘like you’ve been hit by a small car’ (rather than a semi-truck). Some rough patches before and after but side effects are largely manageable now.

There is lots of activity around campus getting ready for the Bone Marrow Transplant Reunion on Friday.


I’ve been entertaining myself with a listen to the eminently well-written Leadership in Turbulent Times by the leadership biographical scholar, Doris Kearns Goodwin. Though I don’t believe the current political climate was mentioned once, there are numerous times it’s easy to yearn for the leadership of FDR, TR, Lincoln, or even LBJ which were largely based on honor, truth, commitment to right principles, and authentic relationships. FDR’s heroic battles against polio are a welcome respite to the current challenges both my own and those in the political landscape.

I’m not feeling great at present but am hopeful that the worst is behind and I will soon be home. 

4 comments:

  1. Best wishes, Mike. Here's to a speedy recovery, you'll be back on your feet before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mike,
    Sorry you have to go through this, but it is interesting! I hope the best for you and your recovery! You will turn it into a positive experience.
    Peace,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for keeping us in the loop. It helps to know how to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanking the Lord that all went as planned for the day, and praying for the best of days ahead. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete