There is still lots of activity to put the finishing touches on my den remodel which makes holding leadership and other meetings at my home office much easier. But I appreciate the fact that the COH team seems bent on carrying out the wisdom of their oft-stated question, 'What the point of curing the body if we destroy the soul?' My discharge day was truly a day to acknowledge the sophistication of the COH team--they are all amazing in their passion, their training (even the student nurses) and their obvious commitment to excellence and service.
Only having been home a couple of days, I'm already enjoying the benefits of the work being done by so many friends and family over the past few weeks. It's easy to appreciate not being connected to an I.V. pole, sleeping quietly through long periods of time, and all the comforts of home (which one appreciates significantly due to their weeks-long absence.)
I will be followed by the medical team at least weekly for the time being so I'm hopeful I will be enjoying more and more unfettered engagement with the public as the next few weeks unfold.
The actual transplant went about as well as it could have. I was released at the absolutely lowest number of days possible and the blood counts are returning to normal at the pace expected. More next Wednesday as I have the first follow-up appointment.
I need to recast my expectations as to what and what kind of work I can accomplish in the next few weeks. My stamina is less than I'm used to. For example, I'm counting my time on the eliptical trainer in single digits these days.
I'm able to participate in most of our regular and leadership meetings but am looking forward to when I'll be able to have more engagement in day-to-day activities (not that the team particularly needs my support). The MCT leadership team continues to carry out day-to-day tasks with excellence and I continue to hear stories of kiddos' lives being changed by interventions carried out through out team of direct service clinicians, family specialists, and parent partner, which really is what this is all about.
Congratulations Michael!
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you are able to back at home.
I too remember waking in the night once I was back at home and thinking I am SO glad I can just get up and go to the bathroom without having to unplug my IV pole and take it with me!
:-)
Good having you back!
ReplyDeleteBeing back home in the warmth of Becky must be wonderful!
ReplyDeleteSue
Looking forward to seeing you back in church with us, and will continue to pray for your full recovery without complications.
ReplyDelete