Search This Blog

Friday, March 27, 2015

Day One Cycle Two "Nothing Remarkable, but Trial is Progressing Well"

For those needing a review:
- Michael's involved in a clinical trial (read 'experiment') to address a nasty leukemia called (Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia)
- Trial takes about six months and is separated into five 'cycles'
- Yesterday (3/26/2015) was Cycle Two, Day 1

Okay, back to the present.  I noticed I messed up one of the prescriptions for a day but hopefully I didn't do any great damage (I think my compliance is about 95% but then 5% deviation, in a lot of things, can be a big deal--anniversary celebrations and managing explosives come to mind).

Yesterday was notable in that I began one of the treatment periods solo (no friends--at least no earthly ones--no wife, except mediated by technology).  Not what I would recommend but life needs to go on, even for Extraverts.  My wife, of course, as God's sense of humor would have it, is an extreme Introvert so I'm assuming it's a gift for her to have some 'alone time' (though she has her own Extravert demands to contend with, such as a group she leads each week).

Nothing remarkable in treatment yesterday--received an infusion of Gazyva (the 'inhibitor' that is addressing the core problem of Leukemia) and of a high dose of HDMP (steroids, okay, I'm getting tired of the professional athlete jokes so I'll just say that HDMP is supposed to synergistically intereact with Gazyva to maximize the treatment effects and minimize the nasty side effects).

'Nothing remarkable' is actually pretty remarkable.  I'm not missing out on being grateful for little if any side effects and my doctor informing me yesterday that we are on track to a solid remission (2+ years) from the CLL.  My concentration camp mentality leads me to believe mine will be much longer, but the bottom line is things are going amazing well on the treatment front.

No comments:

Post a Comment